The Law Office of Matthew M. Williams, P.C.


1444 North Farnsworth Avenue, Suite 307, Aurora, IL 60505

Yorkville Office By Appointment

Initial Consultations via ZOOM Available

Can I Change the Child Support Payment Amount?

 Posted on August 10,2022 in Child Support

Yorkville Child Support AttorneyWhether you are the parent who pays child support or you receive child support payments, you may be interested in modifying your child support order at some point. Illinois law only allows adjustment of the child support order under certain circumstances. If you need help asking the court for a child support modification, do not hesitate to reach out to a family law attorney experienced in child support matters.

Illinois Child Support Modification

If your child support order was established through an administrative process, rather than the courts, you can request a modification through the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services (HFS). By default, Illinois parents with administrative child support orders are eligible for a modification review every three years. If it has been less than three years since the child support order was established or last modified, the parent requesting a modification review will need to justify the request. One of the most common reasons for a modification review request is a change in the financial circumstances of either party. For example, if a parent is laid off from work, he or she may not be able to afford the same level of support as he or she could afford when he or she was working.

Another reason a parent may need to modify child support is a significant increase in the child’s financial needs. For example, if a child is diagnosed with cancer or another serious illness, a parent may be required to pay more support to help cover medical expenses.

If a modification request is granted, each parent is asked to provide up-to-date income information. This information is used to recalculate the child support payment amount. The amount a parent pays may decrease, increase, or stay the same. Judicial child support orders may be modified through the courts.  

Illinois recently created a Child Support Modification Mobile App which you can use to monitor the child support modification review process.

Contact an Aurora Child Support Lawyer for Help

Parents may be able to change their child support orders if certain criteria are met. At the Law Office of Matthew M. Williams, P.C., we provide skilled legal assistance with divorce and family law matters including child support modifications, child custody, marital property division, and much more.

Kane County family law attorney Matthew M. Williams has over 15 years of legal experience representing clients and protecting their best interests. He can help you navigate complex legal problems and provide the support you need.

Call 630-409-8184 for a confidential consultation.  



Share this post:
The Law Office of Matthew M. Williams, P.C.


1444 North Farnsworth Avenue, Suite 307, Aurora, IL 60505

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Back to Top