The Law Office of Matthew M. Williams, P.C.


1444 North Farnsworth Avenue, Suite 307, Aurora, IL 60505

Yorkville Office By Appointment

Initial Consultations via ZOOM Available

Kane County Child Support Lawyer for Extra-curricular and Medical Expenses

Aurora Child Expenses attorney

Attorney Securing Financial Support for Childcare, Sports and Private Lessons in Kendall County

Regardless of his or her circumstances, a child has the right to expect support from both of his or her parents. This is true even if the relationship between the parents is contentious or non-existent. While emotional support and love are certainly ideal, the state of Illinois only has the power to enforce requirements for financial support. The statutes that govern child support in the state are confusing and can be overwhelming, but I have the experience, skills, and legal knowledge to help simplify the process for you and your family.

I am Attorney Matthew M. Williams of the The Law Office of Matthew M. Williams, P.C., and I have been serving families in Kane County, Kendall County, and DuPage County for more than 15 years. If you are an unmarried, separated, divorcing, or divorced parent seeking financial support from your child's other parent, or you are have been asked to pay more than you can reasonably afford, I am prepared to assist you. I can help you negotiate a solution that serves your child's needs while fully protecting your rights.

Child Support in Illinois

In most situations, an order for child support in Illinois is based on guidelines provided by the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act. These guidelines typically require the parent with less parenting time to pay support to help with the day-to-day needs of the child, including housing, clothes, food, and other daily essentials. The support amount is generally calculated as a function of the parents' combined income, each parent's individual income, the number of overnights with each parent, and the number of children requiring support.

Yorkville Attorney for Additional Child Expenses

While child support is intended to provide for the child's basic needs, the law recognizes that there are often other expenses that arise in the course of raising a child. Both parents should share these expenses as well, and the law gives the court the power to require additional contributions from each parent.

Specifically, if the court deems that the expenses are reasonable and necessary, the court may order the paying parent to help with the cost of:

  • Medical and health care not paid for by insurance. Such costs may include copayments, deductibles, and out-of-pocket amounts, as well as services not covered by insurance. Premiums for the child may also be included.
  • Childcare so each parent can work or attend school, including daycare, private childcare services, or family members.
  • Education, including tuition at a public or private school, if deemed to be appropriate by the court, required by an IEP, or agreed upon by the parents, as well as books, uniforms, and other supplies.
  • Extracurricular activities, including sports, clubs, community service organizations, and religious youth groups.

For example, if your child has been diagnosed with cerebral palsy or another serious health condition, it is more than likely that he or she will require specialized medical care, custom equipment, and much more, all of which will result in added expenses for your household. If you are the parent with the majority of the parenting time, I can help you get the necessary assistance from your child's other parent. In some cases, additional expenses are worked into the initial order for child support. In other situations, an order modification is needed to account for the additional expenses. You can depend on me to work diligently on behalf of you and your child, no matter what challenges your family may be facing.

Support may also be available for emancipated children with special needs. I can help in such cases, as well.

Call 630-409-8184 Today

If you would like to learn more about how additional child expenses are handled in an Illinois order for child support, contact our office. Call 630-409-8184 to schedule a confidential consultation at the Law Office of Matthew M. Williams, P.C. today. I represent both mothers and fathers in Aurora, St. Charles, Geneva, Batavia, Sugar Grove, Yorkville, Oswego, Wheaton, Naperville, Kane County, Kendall County, and DuPage County.

The Law Office of Matthew M. Williams, P.C.


1444 North Farnsworth Avenue, Suite 307, Aurora, IL 60505

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Back to Top