The Law Office of Matthew M. Williams, P.C.


1444 North Farnsworth Avenue, Suite 307, Aurora, IL 60505

Yorkville Office By Appointment

Initial Consultations via ZOOM Available

When is Non-Minor Child Support Required?

 Posted on December 19,2023 in Child Support

Kane County family lawyerChild support is oftentimes necessary after a divorce for the parent who is awarded the most parenting time. More time with the child often equates to more financial expenses for the child, so it only makes sense that the parent with less parenting time helps support the other. After all, it is only until the child turns 18 years old before child support ends, right? Well, only in some situations. Some circumstances could see one parent continuing child support payments even after their child is an adult. A more in-depth and beneficial discussion on child support can be had by reaching out to an experienced family law attorney.

Reasons a Non-minor Child May Still Require Child Support Payments

Depending on the circumstances, child support may be required long after a child has reached adulthood. According to the Illinois court, the three most common reasons include:

  • Educational expenses
  • Medical expenses
  • Non-minor is still attending high school

Educational Expenses

College or other post-secondary educational expenses are the most common reason the court will have one parent continuing to pay child support. Attending a university, college, or other educational program can be a major financial undertaking that one parent may be unable to take on alone. That parent can petition the court for an extension on child support to assist with the lofty expenses. Illinois will only consider an extension if the court believes the requests are reasonable. The child/student may also be required to maintain a specified grade point average to maintain the support payments.

Medical Expenses

A child suffering from a serious medical condition may still require care well into their adulthood. Children who require full-time medical assistance, such as those born with disabilities, can carry heavy financial expenses. Since both parents are required to maintain the health and well-being of their children, a court may deem the child is still dependent upon the support provided by both parents, which includes continued child support.

Non-minor High Schooler

It does not happen often, but children who are held back or who do not graduate high school at the age of 18 may require extended child support according to Illinois law. While in high school, the child may still be dependent on their parents, which would include food and living arrangements. As such, an Illinois court could see an extension of child support payments as necessary until the child can complete graduation.

Contact a Kane County, IL Family Law Attorney

 When you have questions concerning child support for a minor or non-minor child, it is best to get in touch with a Batavia, IL, child support lawyer. One from the The Law Office of Matthew M. Williams, P.C. would be happy to assist you with any inquiries you may have in that regard. Get in touch by calling 630-409-8184 and setting up an appointment right now.

Share this post:
The Law Office of Matthew M. Williams, P.C.


1444 North Farnsworth Avenue, Suite 307, Aurora, IL 60505

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Back to Top